I need a highly capable leader to lead my science/medical/ technology/clinical group, How do I start and what do I need to do next?
I have a saying “common sense is not so common” – so what is natural for some is not easily accomplished for others. Hiring special technical talent, or as I call them Unicorns, takes a special skill few possess. It is difficult to make a critical C-Suite or VP hire and to get them to stick, after all, an HBR study shows that 40% of C-Suite hires fail in their first year. Using an executive search consultant can improve your odds – up to 97%, so how do we do it?
Well, first of all, Executive Search consultants have interviewed thousands of senior executives, we know talent when we see it. We look for leadership capabilities first, language, self-awareness, ability to create followership, collaboration, and initiative. We also measure candidates for character and integrity – you know the stuff your parents told you about, but you never thought was so important. How, you ask?
Observation first, we have seen a wide variety of talent and know who is a top performer and who is not.
Here are the steps we use to identify and evaluate the attributes of top C-Suite talent and bring you the very best, leader available. These people, if the role is a good fit for them, will outperform your expectations –
1. Expertise and Relevant Skills: Look for candidates who possess a strong foundation of knowledge and skills in their respective fields. They should have the necessary expertise and technical abilities required to excel in the specific role they are being considered for.
2. Adaptability and Learning Agility: The business landscape is constantly evolving, so it’s crucial to identify candidates who demonstrate adaptability and a willingness to learn. Look for individuals who can quickly adapt to new situations, learn from their experiences, and proactively seek opportunities for growth and development.
3. Strong Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking Skills: Hire individuals who exhibit excellent problem-solving abilities and can think critically to analyze complex situations. Look for candidates who can identify root causes, evaluate various options, and make informed decisions based on available information.
4. Leadership: Look for individuals who can inspire and influence others, collaborate effectively in teams, and take initiative to drive positive change within the organization.
5. Cultural Fit and Alignment with Company Values: Hiring people who align with the company’s culture and values is crucial for long-term success. Look for candidates who demonstrate integrity, ethical behavior, and a passion for the company’s mission. Assess whether their work style and personality align with the existing team dynamics and corporate culture.
Please give us a call, we would love to discuss your hiring plans and how we can help you increase the odds of